“"Mira, mamá! Sin manos!". Can speech recognition tools be soundly applied for L2 speaking practice?” FLEAT VI, August 11-15 at Harvard University
How speech recognition speaking practice integrates with LRC activities for oral practice, assessment and ePortfolio
- My use of Windows7 Automated Speech recognition in 7 languages integrates with
- other LRC activities for oral practice, assessment and ePortfolio.
- these homework assignments prepare for in-class assessments
- All except Kaltura (incompatible with Mahara) also produce language learner ePortfolio pieces.
Advanced language learners can test their English, German or Spanish proficiency in 3.5 minutes here using Exhale
Go here and click English or German, or (also requiring only 3.5 minutes to take, but more for manually grading your test with this answer key) go here for Spanish, if you want to to take a simple quick vocabulary test that has been shown to correlate well with general proficiency. You can find more info here on English and German, and here on Spanish.
- LRC assistants may get called by students with this error regarding pluginfile.php in a Moodle quiz, it appears in the audio player interface itself and looks like this:
- The error messages flashes only briefly, and afterwards the audio simply will not play.
- In a Respondus lockdown browser quiz, you can bring up the error message again by clicking “next” and then resuming the attempt. When the quiz page reloads, the error message will briefly flash again.
- LRC assistants cannot work around this error, they need to alert permanent staff. Usually it is related to a quiz author needing to update the audio file link, like so:
- Go into the quiz, on the left, click “edit the quiz”):
- Find the audio file link, edit the link:
- Go to in Moodle course / Files section, locate the offending file (you can use the unique id you put in the clip board to search), i.e. make sure it actually exists:
- Get the correct URL for the file, puit it int the clipboard:
- Go back to editing the quiz, update the wrong URL with the correct one.
- Save the updated quiz.
- Now the student can reload the quiz, if in Respondus lockdown browser, like above by clicking “next”and back.