Archive for the ‘service-is-documenting’ Category
2017/04/16 Leave a comment
- … close all your other undocked windows in VBE Editor.
- Must have been hidden during inadvertent docking and took me a while…
2017/01/31 Leave a comment
- Expression Encoder is a great screen casting tool for Windows – and it is free.
- Except that in the free version, each clip is limited to 10 minutes. This can result in many clips that you nee to combine to document one session.
- Adding clips to the media and encode them does not roll over at the end of one to the next clip (as thing used to Work in Windows Media Encoder) – it produces as many output files.
- Using the Add Source at End . button seems to limit you to adding one clip after the other.
- What I had missed so far: You can simply select multiple clips at once in the file open dialogue.
- Expression Encoder will add all to the timeline in sequence, and encode all to one output file:
2016/07/22 Leave a comment
- Storing your macros in add-ins (.xlam) has many advantages over personal.xlsm and similar document locations.
- One disadvantage is that an Add-in macro is not accessible through the macros dialogue.
- The community recommends assigning shortcuts for easy access. I did that and went a couple of steps further using VBE extensibility to
- depending on scope
- public procedures on your end users’ computer to whom you distribute your Add-in
- and also non-private on the developer machine
- list your modules alphabetically
- list your macros alphabetically under your modules
- find pick a free (within Excel – short of windows-wide shortcuts – In my current work environment, I am unable run tools that allow you to list these shortcuts) shortcut combination and and assign it to your macro Code
- depending on scope
- Code TBA
2015/06/07 Leave a comment
- From a recent spot check of over 500 job postings on Indeed.com that mention both “UML” and “diagram”, the following picture emerges:
- There is clearly a Big 4 of UML diagram types, and they are – in order of frequency –
- activity and
- (the only structural diagram type that “counts”) class diagram.
UML Diagram Type Count of type activity 19.33% class 15.33% communication 6.00% component 2.67% interaction 1.33% network-architecture 1.33% object 2.00% sequence 23.33% state 8.00% timing 0.67% use-case 20.00% Grand Total 100.00%
- It seems you could in practice cover “80%’ of UML with these four diagram types. Even state and communication (collaboration) diagrams are an already very distant 5th and 6th (but get you up to a coverage of about 95%).
- Notably, the majority of UML diagram types – at least in this sample set – do not figure at all:
|Count of type||Diagram|
|0||Behavioral state machine|
|0||Protocol state machine|
Note: The vast majority of mentions did not need any, but I attempted some translations of the raw data on indeed.com:
|collaboration (1)||communication (2)|
|data flow||information flow|
|domain model||class diagram|
|state charts||state machine|
|process flow||1 not counted|
|prototypes||1 not counted|
2015/05/08 Leave a comment
- If you frequently have to edit documents according to a large number of editorial rules and regulations
- and if you can partially automate these edit operations (or at least highlight suspicious passages for human review) with Word’s search/replace,
- I can recommend an add-in that can automate even the repeated search/replace operations (like the 57 in the video below)
- and even help you manage your search/replace strings and regular expressions in a spreadsheet which it can load from:
- Greg Maxey’s VBA Find & Replace Word Add-in. See it in action (click for full size):
TwoThree Caveats: :
- At this point, I cannot get the add-in to work only in Word 2010. Even if I lower Macro security and allow programmatic access to the VBA project, when trying to launch the add-in from the ribbon, Word 2013 complains: “The macro cannot be found or has been disabled due to your macro security settings”:.
- The automation is only as good as your underlying search/replace operations. (Hint: “Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ‘I know, I’ll use regular expressions.’ Now they have two problems.”)
- I think I will refrain from search/replace during “Tracking changes” – as in the video – , and rather use “Compare documents” after the replace operations – too many quirks otherwise…
2015/05/06 Leave a comment
- Doxygen comes with a built-in conditional content marker \internal the outputting of which can be controlled with the switch INTERNAL_DOCS in Doxygen’s config file.
- However, I could not get this to work as advertised in Doxygen 1.8.8.
- In cases of similar feature breakage, users are commonly advised to fix the error in the Doxygen source. If you, like I did, lack the time for that, here is a simple workaround which uses another built-in feature that an be controlled via Doxygen’s config file:
- Define as one of the:
ALIASES = "myinternal=\if myinternal <HR><kbd><em>" \ "endmyinternal= </em></kbd> \endif" # HTML is optional, intended to make internal information stand out clearly if outputted
- Switch this ALIAS on and off using ENABLED_SECTIONS = # myinternal
- Example usage in a .dox file:
-# A high-low-high-low beep sequence followed by a low-high beep sequence indicates successful pairing and connection to the remote device. @myinternal tested with barcode on lower-end of cradle: gives success beep sequence @endmyinternal -# A long low, long high beep sequence indicates unsuccessful pairing.