Posts Tagged ‘2013’
2015/10/28 Leave a comment
- Problem: In a strange new development, my OneNote crashes (multiple times, until things eventually become stable again) when I search my notebooks from the upper right search box. Specifically, as soon as I hover my mouse over the search results display.
- My environment: OneNote 2013 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit. These are notebooks on a network share, and they are updated from multiple machines. Not aware of any recent changes to my mouse settings or drivers.
- My Workaround: Navigate the search results using the keyboard. This seems to prevent those crashes.
2015/05/08 Leave a comment
- If you frequently have to edit documents according to a large number of editorial rules and regulations
- and if you can partially automate these edit operations (or at least highlight suspicious passages for human review) with Word’s search/replace,
- I can recommend an add-in that can automate even the repeated search/replace operations (like the 57 in the video below)
- and even help you manage your search/replace strings and regular expressions in a spreadsheet which it can load from:
- Greg Maxey’s VBA Find & Replace Word Add-in. See it in action (click for full size):
TwoThree Caveats: :
- At this point, I cannot get the add-in to work only in Word 2010. Even if I lower Macro security and allow programmatic access to the VBA project, when trying to launch the add-in from the ribbon, Word 2013 complains: “The macro cannot be found or has been disabled due to your macro security settings”:.
- The automation is only as good as your underlying search/replace operations. (Hint: “Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ‘I know, I’ll use regular expressions.’ Now they have two problems.”)
- I think I will refrain from search/replace during “Tracking changes” – as in the video – , and rather use “Compare documents” after the replace operations – too many quirks otherwise…
2014/12/19 Leave a comment
- I googled and followed this useful guide. However, a couple of glitches remained:
- Connection to Incoming mail server fails if you really just put your username:
- put instead of email@example.com:
- Test send of email message through outgoing server fails if you just followed instructions:
- Click on button: “More” / tab: “Outgoing Server” / do check box “My outgoing server requires authentication ” and log on (I now prefer to be explicit, after the initial mixup of usernames for incoming and outgoing), enter your full firstname.lastname@example.org and password. No need to enable SPA, though.
- Viola (and quousque tandem…, sigh ).
2014/10/29 Leave a comment
- Problem: No navigation bar in Acrobat Reader when viewing your PDF created from MS-Word.
- Solution: Check this setting first in the Save as PDF Options:
But: Word 2013’s “Save as PDF” with “Create Bookmarks” may remains greyed out since it won’t even see your own heading styles, even if you based these styles on the built-in heading styles (which are known to contain “hidden magic” not easily replicated) , including their outline level, if
Heading appears in Content control.
Heading appears in Table.
Move headings out of Content Controls (you can still “lock”the text with Grouping, which will be enabled on the Developer Tab once you select at least a conten control and text (meant for form field labels).
Move headings outside of tables.
2014/10/07 Leave a comment
Used to have its own separate button – don’t despair, it is still there, now under the “Format” button:
2014/10/06 Leave a comment